Don’t Let Limited Mobility Impact Your Loved One’s Fun | Executive Care of Fort Myers
Whether temporary or permanent, mobility issues can put a damper on anyone’s life. Luckily, your loved one’s fun doesn’t have to be cut back by limited mobility.
U.S. Census numbers report 47 million seniors living in our country, and this means that there are plenty of mobility issues being experienced. It was discovered in 2014 that 40% of those 65 and older have at least one disability. Two-thirds of those who responded to a survey said they had issues with walking or climbing.
Just because your loved one has limited mobility, though, doesn’t have to mean fun comes to a halt.
Fun Ideas for Those With Mobility Issues
You loved one doesn’t have to remain trapped at home if he or she suffers from mobility issues due to things like arthritis, strokes and injuries.
These five activities are just a handful of the options your loved one can have to keep the fun going:
- Scrapbooking. Does your loved one have oodles of old photos packed away in boxes? They could easily be put into scrapbooks! Not only is it great storage for the photos, but it also gives your loved one the chance to think back on old memories and share family stories.
- Outdoor time. Being outdoors can give anyone a mood lift, regardless of their age. Your loved one can enjoy the nice summer months from the safety of a shaded area, making sure he or she doesn’t get too overheated.
- Exercise. Limited mobility doesn’t mean the end of exercise, it just means exploring different options. There are chair exercises and chair yoga classes your loved one could enjoy. There are even balance exercises for those using a walker.
- Bingo. It may seem stereotypical, but don’t count out the game of bingo! Not only is it a fun outing, but it’s also a way for your loved one to get some socialization in.
- Creative activities. Things like painting, sculpting, crafts, etc. can be a way for your loved one to combat depression and anxiety.
Limited mobility no longer has to be something that keeps your loved one trapped at home with nothing to do.
Know that Executive Care of Fort Myers is always ready to step in and help make sure your loved one is leading the life he or she wants and deserves, right in the comfort of home. Don’t hesitate to contact us to learn more about our in-home care services.